the BLOG of stuart mcdonald


The Prayer of Release – Message Notes
August 5, 2009, 8:21 pm
Filed under: Sermon Notes | Tags: , , , , , ,
{Note: Normally, I don’t post sermon notes on my blog, but this message was so powerful that I couldn’t help. Enjoy.}
_____________________________________
The Prayer of Release
“Connecting w/ God” Series
Pastor Crute
August 5 2009 7pm
_____________________________________

2 of the greatest barriers that would keep you from receiving the Peace of God are guilt and resentment (The misery twins)

>> Matthew 6:12

Some people hold onto their hurts because they like to receive pity from others.

To the degree that your don’t forgive, and harbor hurt and unforgiveness, is to the degree that you’re under control of those who hurt you.

Most resentment and unforgiveness starts in the home.

>> Matthew 18:21-22 – The Jewish standard was at least 3. For Peter to think that 7 was adequate was over and above already, but Jesus took it even further by saying 77 times.

Jesus came that the law might be fulfilled. So what you think you can do by yourself

You can’t do anything good by yourself. There is nothing good in you. Your CORE is sinful because you descended from Adam. That’s why we need Jesus.

We must be born again because we were born in sin.

WHY MUST I RELEASE THOSE WHO HAVE HURT ME??

(Matthew 18 – the Story of the Unforgiving Servant)

1. BECAUSE GOD FORGIVES ME

>> Matthew 18:27 – The man owed the king approx. $12 million in current day means. That was forgiven. The servant then caught an attitude over a debt of $17.

When you owe someone something, the have control over you. You can’t be yourself around them.

There was no character chance from their forgiveness. Do you know anyone who has been forgiven a debt that they couldn’t no repay, but when it comes to forgiving others, they hold others debts against them!

>> Ephesians 4:32

2. BECAUSE RESENTMENT IS SELF TORTURE

When you hold resentment against someone, you’re actually hurting yourself more than the other person.

Forgiveness is ONE thing, but regaining trust is another thing!

People on the receiving end of forgiveness often want things to be the way they were. But that doesn’t happen overnight. It happens at the rate that the offended can give it!

>> Matthew 18:33-34

>> Job 21:23-25

People who hold resentment are 2x as likely to have a stroke, 3x as likely to have a heart attack or bypass and 4x times as likely to have high cholesterol. That shows that it’s not what you eat, it’s what eats you.

That means the person that you haven’t forgiven will bury you!

The world knows Christ’s disciples by the love we show (or should show)

It takes more strength to walk with someone after they’ve offended me than it does to run away. We have to value that testimony to unbelievers more than we value personal comfort sometimes.

The fact that I don’t trust you doesn’t give me a license to treat you badly!

The legitimacy of my forgiveness lies in the ability to place myself myself in that situation again. Jesus is the perfect example of this. We continue to hurt him, but sticks closer than a brother with new mercies EACH AND EVERY DAY!

Unforgiveness will keep you from receiving revelation!

3. I NEED FORGIVENESS EVERY DAY

>> Matthew 18:35 – To the degree that we don’t forgive others for offending us, God will NOT forgive us! God, the Father, will do to us, the same thing to us that the king did to this man => torture. There is no torture in Heaven… the torture is Hell!

If you read a description of what Hell was REALLY like, you wouldn’t wish it on your worst enemy!

To him who knows right & doesn’t do it, that’s sin. So what should God do to people who confess to be Christ-like but don’t do the things that they confess?

When you go to the Bible for yourself, you don’t have time to judge others.

If you say, “I’m on fire for God” who are you comparing yourself to? You can’t judge yourself by others. You can’t judge yourself by Jesus.

How do I embrace the process of being changed and transformed when it doesn’t feel good?

>> Matthew 6:14-15

A person who fully understands the cross looks weak to those who don’t get it.

When you understand what it means to be forgiven, how can you NOT forgive others?

HOW DO I RELEASE MY HURT? {Because we were running short on time, Pastor only gave us these answer and didn’t expound upon the points. That’s why there are no notes here.}

1. I LEAVE IT TO GOD

>> Romans 12:9

2. I HEAL IT WITH GRACE

>> Hebrews 12:15

>> 1 Peter 2:24

3. I NAIL IT TO THE CROSS

>> Romans 6:6 >> You have to nail those revengeful tendencies to the cross!

>> Colossians 2:14

Advertisements

Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: